Tag: Features Week In Review
Chances are you’ve been waiting in line all week for the iPhone 4, which means you haven’t been keeping up on your social media resources. Tsk-tsk.
Put said device to good use, and scroll on down for your weeklycavalcade of hints, tips, insights and analysis.
Go on, gorge yourself.
- 15 Fab Flash Mob Videos on YouTube
We’ve rounded up the very best flash mob events caught on camera, from big brands and ordinary bands of people.
- Why Feedback and Filters are Necessary in Social Media
Social media noise can be combated in two ways: By sending feedback to the noise generators, and by effectively filtering social streams. Here’s a look at both.
- HOW TO: Crowdsource Funds for Causes, Creativity and Startups
These resources can help you raise money for your charity, latest project, or business venture.
- How Salespeople Are Using Social Media for Real Results
The days of door-to-door salespeople might be over, but social media has opened new opportunities.
- 9 Universal Principles of Viral Media Sites
Want your site to get a billion page views by going viral online? Want to enter the rankings as Internetmeme? There’s no set formula, but there are a few tried-and-true principals to adhere to.
- The Top 10 Most Watched Web Series, May 2010
If you’re looking for some video entertainment to watch on your lunch break, this chart is a great place to start.
- 10 Best UFO Hoax Videos on YouTube
We’ve trawled YouTube for UFO clips, and pulled together a list of the ten very best hoaxes, unexplained footage, fakes, and mysterious home movies.
- 3 Things Facebook Does Very Well
Despite the passionate criticism Facebook has received lately, the network is a social giant and web mainstay for a reason. Here’s what it’s doing right.
- Why Food Bloggers Are Here to Stay
Food blogs have taken off, but some food bloggers still struggle to have the same legitimacy as their print-publication counter-parts.
- Are You a Comments Troll?
When a story’s subject/author/factual errors/typeface sends one into a fit of rage, it can be hard to hold back one’s ire.
- HOW TO: Help New Users Stay Engaged on Twitter
Twitter is growing, but new users are often overwhelmed, and many don’t stick around. We’ve outlined some ways you can help prevent them from becoming part of the Twitter quitter trend.
- How Social Media is Helping Veterans Connect
Veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are utilizing social media for more than just staying in touch with family while deployed. Online communities have become important support systems.
Tech & Mobile
- iRig Turns Your iPhone Into an Awesome Guitar Stompbox [REVIEW]
We went hands-on with the AmpliTube iRig, an interface for your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch that lets you plug in a guitar and use your device as a stompbox.
- 10 Fun Facts You Didn’t Know About Google
Google is not your average company and it’s fitting that they have a history chock full of quirk. Here are 10 facts you may not have known about Google.
- Tech Tourism: 10 Great Geek Destinations
From the birth of Silicon Valley to the inception of Twitter, we’ve pinpointed ten places on the map for those with a passion for tech and social media.
- 14 Sites Changing the Way We Shop
We’ve been shopping online since the mid 90s and the web has become a playground for smart and savvy shoppers. Here are 14 sites changing the way we shop.
- Free Music Monday: 10 Free Downloads Compiled for You
10 free tracks in honor of the #musicmonday tradition on Twitter.
- How iOS 4 and iTunes Work Together [VIDEO]
Check out this video demo of the new mobile OS and your favorite music app in action together.
- 10 Best Multimedia and Entertainment Android Apps
Turn your Android device into a multimedia hub for music, video, books, news, and more with these 10 great apps.
- HOW TO: Get Up-to-Date on WordPress 3.0
WordPress 3.0 brings a refined backend interface, a new default theme, a new custom menu structure, and improved support for custom post types and taxonomies.
- Top 10 Resources for Design Inspiration
A list of the best visual resources where web designers and creatives can turn for inspiration and to jump start their creative thinking.
- iPhone 4 vs. Droid X Feature Comparison [INFOGRAPHIC]
How does the new Droid X stack up against the new iPhone 4? Check the chart.
- HOW TO: Use iMovie for iPhone
iMovie for iPhone is the official Apple application that lets iPhone users record and edit high-definition video to publish directly to YouTube or send via MMS and e-mail.
- 10 iPhone Apps for a Better Night’s Sleep
Sleep is one of the best things for your body. No matter how many hours of rest you get, these 10 apps can help you make the most of your sleep at night.
- iPad Magazines: Don’t Believe the Hype
Much has been said about the iPad’s ability to reinvigorate the publishing industry, but the first generation of magazine apps on the iPad falls short.
- 5 Free Ways To Find Local Concerts on Your Smartphone
If you want to find local concerts while you’re on the go, these 5 apps will keep you in the know.
- The History of the iPhone [INFOGRAPHIC]
It’s been an auspicious week for Apple and its much-touted wonder device. Take a stroll down memory lane with this infographic.
- 5 Cool Non-Profit Uses of Location-Based Tech
We’ve seen brands use location-based services for marketing, but non-profit organizations have jumped on board to spread awareness and make connections. Here are some interesting examples.
- 5 Useful iPhone Apps for Business Networking
Five useful iPhone apps that will help you become a better business networker.
- Newspapers Are Still Dying, But the News Is Not Going Anywhere
Newspapers need to desperately seek new ways to find revenue with experimental tactics in order to stay alive.
- HOW TO: Use QR Codes for Small Business Marketing
If you’re unfamiliar with the business potential of QR codes, use this post as a crash course in how to get started.
- HOW TO: Use Social Media for Lead Generation
Being that social media is a great place to attract new customers, we put together a quick guide on how to use social media for lead generation.
- HOW TO: Improve B2B Sales Productivity with Social Media
Social media offers unprecedented ways to investigate and make connections with business customers that will save you time chasing worthless leads.
- Why Your Next Business Card May Be Virtual
Virtual business cards offer many advantages over paper cards: They’re cheaper, take up less room, automatically update, and can instantly hook into your social graph.
- HOW TO: Evaluate Your Social Media Plan
If you are frustrated because your business hasn’t seen results from social media marketing, maybe it’s time to rethink your plan. Here are some tips to help.
We know you’re busy. Even with every social media, web, and RSS tool at your disposal, you can occasionally miss out on some of the week’s most insightful content.
From in-depth how-tos, to app lists, to valuable business guides, browse below for a veritable smorgasbord of value you may have passed over.
- The Ultimate March Madness Social Media Guide Everything you need to keep up with “The Big Dance” on the social web is in here. Check it out, and secretly adjust your brackets as needed.
- How Musicians Are Using Social Media to Connect with Fans Music sharing and distribution on the web is nothing new. But some artists, bands, and labels are going the extra social mile to get their music heard. Here’s how they’re doing it.
- 6 Ways Law Enforcement Uses Social Media to Fight Crime Dick Tracy’s gadgets have nothing on today’s socially-savvy police departments. Find out how they’re using social networks to catch criminals, prevent crime, and keep the public informed.
- Why User Competency Matters in Social Design When building a website or social platform, never forget to ask yourself, “What is the user good at?” It’s often key to success or failure.
- 4 Easy Ways to Engage Your Facebook Fans
Is your Facebook Fan Page lacking a little engagement “oomph?” Has your fan growth leveled off? Try these four dead-simple ways to get folks sharing your brand again.
- 9 Killer Tips for Location-Based Marketing If your business is thinking about jumping into the location game, now is the time to do it. This post has everything you need to get started.
- 12 iPhone Apps for Surviving Conference Season If you’re currently at SXSW, or headed to any number of big conferences this year, keep your iPhone close, and these handy apps even closer.
- 5 Things You Need to Know About Location-Based Social Media Location-based social media is still relatively young, but the future is bright for users, marketers, and businesses alike. Here are 5 important lessons to take away from the current LBS landscape.
- 14 Essential iPhone Apps for Small Business Users The iPhone probably wasn’t originally made for business, but it can crunch a mean spreadsheet and more with these indispensable apps.
- 10 Essential Social Media Tips for B2B Marketers The B2B potential of social media is often overlooked. If you sell to fellow business owners and you’re looking for an in on the social media action, don’t miss this post.
- 4 Ways to Effectively Use Social Media as a Catalyst Social media is not the beginning or end of a marketing effort. It should be woven into every aspect of your business plan. Take in these four tips on how to make that happen.
- The Small Business Guide to Google Apps Is your business ready to make the leap into the cloud? Smart integration of Google Apps for Business can really benefit your team and workflow.